I’m pleased to announce that Chris Miller has joined the Color Label Solutions team.
Chris joins our team from General Data, our parent where he is a Vice President responsible for the Laser and Multi-Function Sales and Service division. Chris brings to our team a deep understanding of the workgroup printer business. And now we offer this capability known as General Data’s Managed Print Choices.
Learn more about General Data’s Office Printing Solutions here.
According to Chris, “Regular A4 laser jet printers and multi-function devices make up the most of our printer hardware sales out of our new office here in Signal Hill California. HP is our largest workgroup printer vendor, and we’re a premier partner with this company. We do business with companies such as Xerox and Brother as well. We sell printers obviously; but the consumables, especially toner and ink, makes up most of our business.”
When asked what markets make up most of their A4 printer business, Chris says, “we sell school districts, colleges, universities, financial firms, and food/beverage companies. Any organization with offices. For example, we have a customer with 160 locations; we have a Laserjet and Multi-Function printer in each facility. And about 60% of our hardware sales is monochrome; with the other 40% color printers.”
|Black Rhino Toner Supplies|
In my discussions with Chris, I learned that most of what Managed Print Choices does is focused around saving companies money; especially with supplies. To save money, Chris says, “we offer several suggestions to help save customers money. First, set color laser printers to the greyscale default; Second, purchase our Remanufactured Toner; and Third, purchase HP supplies from us under contract as we’re a Premier Partner. We can save customers money with printers under our service contact.
When asked about Annual Service Contracts, Chris says, “We simplify the process of maintenance and repair. For a low annual fee, all maintenance and repair costs are covered, and you can schedule calls through our service web portal.
|GDC Service and Repair|
Chris says “We include 2 preventative maintenance calls in the Annual Service Contract price.
|GDC Depot Repair|
Here in Signal Hill, we offer Return to Depot Service; where you send your equipment to our depot service facility for service, repair and maintenance.
|GDC On-Site Service|
Or an On-Site Service option, where our technicians repair and maintain equipment right at your location.
|GDC Annual Service Contract|
In addition to Annual Service, we sell Cost Per Page as well as Level Pay Contracts. Our goal is to keep your A4 and Multi-Function printers running for the least cost possible.”
Continuing, Chris says, “Another great option is our “Bull Pen” service. This option is an economical solution when a customer has a large number of printers in a single facility. You simply place all equipment in need of maintenance in a central location, and we fix them all at once.
|GDC Manufacturer Warranty Service|
And finally, we offer Factory Authorized Warranty Services. For many manufacturers, we are certified to provide factory-authorized warranty service. This service covers most thermal transfer and direct thermal in addition to our workgroup printers.”
We’re lucky to have Chris now on our team, bringing a wealth of knowledge on printers and service that we didn’t have prior. You can contact Chris in our Signal Hill office not only about label printers but also about hardware, consumables and service for workgroup printers as well.
We’re here to help.